Do You Have Faith?
Make ice cream to illustrate that taking action shows we have faith.
Items needed for each person:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or half & half
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons rock salt
- 1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
- 1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
- ice cubes
Show ingredients and ask:
Do you believe these ingredients can become ice cream?
If so, then shake the mixture in the bags.
How to make it:
- Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
- Fill the large bag half full of ice and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
- Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
- Shake until the mixture is ice cream (which takes about 5 minutes).
- Wipe off the top of the small bag, and then open it carefully. Enjoy!
You showed your belief that what I said was true by shaking the bags. James 2:14-17 says we show our faith in God by believing what He has said in the Bible and then living it out—doing what He has told us to do. Taking Action shows we have true faith!
Hearing and Doing
Items Needed: 10-12 paper or plastic cups; marker; beanbag, ball, or small stuffed animal
Review the verse (James 1:22) students are memorizing.
Write each word of the verse on a cup (write more than one word on some of the cups so there are 10-12 cups total). Arrange them side-by-side on a table (possibly outside) so the words can be read. Take turns trying to knock off a cup/word. See if you can say the verse each time a cup/word is knocked down—until all the words are missing.
What does it mean to be a “doer” of the Word (Bible) and not just a “hearer”?
It is good to hear/learn what the Bible says about serving others, but it is even better to actually do it.
Show Your Faith
James challenges us to show that we have faith by doing good works (James 2:14-16). What can you and your family do this week?
Here are a few ideas to get you started (It doesn’t have to be something big to make a big impact—little kindnesses mean a lot.)
- Smile at 3 people.
- Let someone go ahead of you at the checkout line in the grocery store.
- Ask the clerk what her favorite candy bar is and buy it for her.
- Eat lunch with someone who might not have many friends.
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Leave a kind note in a library book for the next person who reads it.
- Make and mail a card to an elderly person.
- Share a toy.
- Help without being asked.
- Leave a treat (or nice note) in the mailbox for your mail carrier.
What a perfect opportunity to show your faith!