What if you found out that a specific group of families in your community were unreached with the gospel? What if I told you that families from this group regularly share stories with me about rejection from churches?
You’d want to know the group, wouldn’t you? I could simply tell you, but instead I’ll let the facts speak for themselves.
For starters, take a look at these facts about families and children.
- Nearly one in six children has a developmental disability. (source)
- Approximately 1 in 88 children has an autism spectrum disorder. (source)
- When parents learn of their unborn babies’ diagnosis of Down syndrome prenatally, 92% choose to abort rather than welcome a son or daughter with Down syndrome. (source)
- When a couple has a child with autism or ADHD, some research indicates that (a) the rate of divorce is nearly twice as high and (b) the risk of divorce lasts longer into adolescence/adulthood as for parents whose children don’t have disabilities. (source and source)
Then review some more facts from US Census data in 2008 (source).
- 19% of the American population lives with some level of disability (54 million people, which is roughly the size of the combined populations of Florida and California).
- 12% of the population (35 million people) has a severe disability.
- 11 million people with disabilities in the US need assistance with everyday tasks.
Finally, consider these facts about disability and the church.
- Some disability ministry leaders have estimated that 85-90% of people with disabilities are unchurched. (source and source)
- People with disabilities are less likely to attend worship services, Bible studies, and other church activities than those without disabilities. (source)
- People with autism are more likely to be atheists and more likely to reject organized religion in general. (source)
M prayer is that your eyes are opened to the great opportunity we have to introduce families with great needs to our great God.
- Some of the Most Unreached People in the United States - August 23, 2012