Every year on our anniversary my wife Lynsey and I have what we call “Marriage Evaluation.” I was talking to a friend about it yesterday and he said, “Did she get a raise?” The answer is yes! Lynsey gets a raise every year and I almost get fired every year! 🙂
But seriously, we celebrated our 4th anniversary yesterday and did our 4th marriage evaluation. The “evaluation” is several questions that we each answer independently. Then, we have a nice dinner at some restaurant and spend a few hours talking about how we responded. It might sound a little weird, but it has been very helpful for us. I actually enjoy it, and Lynsey also says it’s helpful and is glad we do them.
Here are some good things our yearly marriage evaluation does for us:
- forces us to think about our marriage when we don’t naturally do that
- puts us on the same page regarding goals and areas we’d like to improve on
- helps us re-focus on each other and what the Lord wants to do in and through us
- re-kindles our prayer life and Bible memory time together
- lets Lynsey know I am serious about leading her and our family well
It’s really simple, but the conversations we’ve had are amazing and have helped us in our marriage. Just a simple way to be intentional about having a God-honoring marriage that we hope lasts until we’re done with 64 marriage evaluations instead of just 4.
Download the form we use here.